Wearables – those smart bands, glasses and even jewelry that can run apps just like smart phones – are expected to explode in popularity over the coming year. A recent study by Canalys estimated that over 40 million wearable bands will be shipped this year. Apple, which will start selling its highly anticipated smart watch in April, will be the biggest market driver for the coming years. Read on, if you’d like to know more about what’s coming to Apple Watch…
The Orlando tech community is already brimming with wearables activity! We’ve had several very well-attended wearable meetups (the last one right here at Catalyst). As we are getting ready for the next one, let me share with you just some of the wearables news coming out of Orlando:
· Wearable tech developers directory. WatchKit.com is building a directory of wearable tech app developers. If you’d like to be included, fill out the form at WatchKit.com, email or tweet them @WatchKitCom
· Local player already developing apps for wearables. Orlando’s own Teeps.org, a mobile development team with some great apps under its belt, is paving the way to be one of the first major wearable tech app development firms. Come hear what they’re up to at our next meetup!
· Mobile payments coming to wearables. FattMerchant.com, an Orlando-based startup that is promising to change credit card processing for businesses with its flat-rate, no strings-attached system, is embracing Apple Pay and the future of mobile/wearable payments. They’ll be at our next Orlando Wearable tech meetup, too!
· The Orlando Wearable Tech meetup is growing. The Orlando Wearable Tech Meetup already has nearly 200 members and continues to grow! Our next meetup will be this Thursday, March 12 at 6 pm at Catalyst Workspaces. Come and hear several local experts discuss Apple Watch ApplePay and WatchKit. We provide the DJ, you BYOB and pizza to enjoy and share alike. Find out more at OrlandoTechnology.com.
· A new home for all things wearables in Orlando. Catalyst Spaces, the newly opened and most inspiring place to work in Orlando, is quickly becoming the hub for all things wearable in Florida! Their modern coworking space goes well with wearables’ own futuristic vibe and it has great views of downtown Orlando to boot! Our meetup members fit right in with the entrepreneurs and techies who already work there.